Skip to content

Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey

SatelliteTV in Crete
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  
  • Author
    Posts
  • #35214
    scooby
        • Topics: 46
        • Replies: 493
        • Total: 539
        • Practcally Cretan
        • ★★★★★★
        Member since: 17th July 2010

        If you didn’t catch this on ITV last night try to watch it this Thursday as I think she is in Crete. Very good!

        Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com

        #35616
        moggy1923
            • Topics: 89
            • Replies: 466
            • Total: 555
            • Practcally Cretan
            • ★★★★★★
            Member since: 29th April 2007

            Hi Scooby, some of her comments last night funny. She referred to Evia as being the 2nd largest Greek island (tee-hee) was waiting for what she was going to call the Peloponesse! At least she visited Epidavros with Nana.
            Anyone who is driving to or from Crete I do recommend they take time out to visit Epidavros. One person should stand in the centre spot and the other at the top of the seating steps, it is surprising how a whisper can be heard that distance.
            It was a bit sad how Greeks were portrayed spending like no tomorrow on flowers at the bazooki clubs in Athens. Visiting bazooki club on Crete it was not like that, people went to listen to the music. A great shame the wrong impression given at this time.
            Did enjoy her out collecting wild asparagus, then cooking it for supper – Binx you should enjoy that if anyone can copy it for you.

            Crete is not next Thursday but the week after.

            ta leme

            #35886
            scooby
                • Topics: 46
                • Replies: 493
                • Total: 539
                • Practcally Cretan
                • ★★★★★★
                Member since: 17th July 2010

                I like the villagers who whistle instead of talking. Now that was amazing!

                #36076
                latsida
                Participant
                    • Topics: 165
                    • Replies: 2407
                    • Total: 2572
                    • Practcally Cretan
                    • ★★★★★★
                    Member since: 17th October 2006

                    Hi Moggy
                    Evia is the second largest Greek island see here

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euboea

                    I have a good Cretan Friend who was in Athens last week and went to a Bouzouki Club whilst there and sorry to have to tell you but he made the same comments as the program on the clienteles spending there.
                    he visited on a Friday night and left around 7.30am.
                    the place was packed, yes they were buying trays and trays of flowers to throw, also the Whiskey was 190 a bottle.
                    Did not think there were any bouzouki clubs on Crete?, it was the first tme he had been to one and he was quite amazed!!! he showed me a video he took with his mobile and the place was heaving 8-)
                    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1995871,00.html

                    #36226
                    moggy1923
                        • Topics: 89
                        • Replies: 466
                        • Total: 555
                        • Practcally Cretan
                        • ★★★★★★
                        Member since: 29th April 2007

                        7C716463797471100 wrote: Hi Moggy
                        Evia is the second largest Greek island see here

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euboea

                        I have a good Cretan Friend who was in Athens last week and went to a Bouzouki Club whilst there and sorry to have to tell you but he made the same comments as the program on the clienteles spending there.
                        he visited on a Friday night and left around 7.30am.
                        the place was packed, yes they were buying trays and trays of paper flowers to throw, also the Whiskey was 190 a bottle.
                        Did not think there were any bouzouki clubs on Crete?, it was the first tme he had been to one was quite amazed!!!
                        http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1995871,00.html

                        Latsida, OK thanks for the correction, just friends of mine who visited Evia went by the Strait in a car, ie did not have to go on a boat or via plane – guess we all have our own definitions of an Island.
                        Dont dispute there are the bouzouki clubs in Athens, but it was a shame to show it and give the impressions all the Greeks were spending the money like that, instead of the chosen few, who had the money. It was 7 years ago this month that I visited a Bouzouki club in Heraklion, yes the spirit bottles were expensive, but one does not have to drink the whole bottle, they charge on the amount drank I seem to recall. There probably were some people throwing flowers, dont recall, but not the way it was portrayed for Athens. Have not repeated it since something special to do once at those prices.

                        #36348
                        latsida
                        Participant
                            • Topics: 165
                            • Replies: 2407
                            • Total: 2572
                            • Practcally Cretan
                            • ★★★★★★
                            Member since: 17th October 2006

                            Hi Moggy, I visited Evia many years ago and then we crossed by ferry at the nearest point to the mainland but there is a bridge ;)
                            "Evia is connected to the mainland with a iron bridge (Chalkida)"

                            I agree that it was a shame for the show to dwell on the spending in these clubs but this is very much a part of Greek culture and always has been.

                            the first time I came to Crete we visited a club on the outskirts of Ag. Nik. on the way up to Kritsa, the bottles of whiskey were around 60 pounds then and that was 23 years ago! all good fun!!!

                            #36438
                            scooby
                                • Topics: 46
                                • Replies: 493
                                • Total: 539
                                • Practcally Cretan
                                • ★★★★★★
                                Member since: 17th July 2010

                                There is a Bouzouki club 500 metres from me (west of Chania). They don’t happen that often, maybe 5 or 6 times a year.

                                #36513
                                moggy1923
                                    • Topics: 89
                                    • Replies: 466
                                    • Total: 555
                                    • Practcally Cretan
                                    • ★★★★★★
                                    Member since: 29th April 2007

                                    This week Joanna covered Northern Greece, including Corfu.

                                    It was good how she explained the Northern Borders of Greece to it’s neighbours.

                                    For Corfu, she showed many of the wealthy houses,  one had sold 2 days previous for 15 Million (wonder what the special tax on that would be!).  Much was shown on the British traditions still in Corfu, Cricket and Brass bands of the Corfiots, ie the British influence that Corfu still has to this day. Mention was also made to say that about 50% of the Corfiot men were named Spiros.

                                    She went to Zitsa, a very small village and tribute was paid to Lord Bryon and his donation to Greece, along with his political influence for Greece, as well as his appreciation of good Greek Wine
                                    .
                                    She visited Kavala and spent some time explaining 1923 when Christian Greeks had to leave Turkey & go to Greeks and Muslim Turkish had to leave Greece and to go Turkey.  She also explained that the Christian Greeks who had to leave Turkey to go to live in Greece spoke Turkish & vice versa (Muslim Turks had to leave Greece for Turkey spoke Greek).  She visited a man of 96 who was 6 years old when his family had to leave Turkey for Greece.  He explained how his father and most men from his village were killed by the Turks & how very little of their personal possessions they were allowed to take (a shame though that no comparative mention was made of similarities that probably happened to the Turks who left Greece).  A very sad and tragic time in history rarely mentioned.

                                    She went to a village, Nigrita (well think that was what it was called!), where an old custom from Turkey is still going on, i.e. wrestling where the men covered themselves in oil with trousers made of leather –they were entirely covered in oil to make themselves slippery.  Mainly they were Greek men, but there was at least one Turkish man taking part.  The Turkish man was noted for saying he did not care who people are, people are people..  In the olden days all the wrestlers were shepherds.  The Turk won on this occasion

                                    Somewhere she went, Melivia I think, they were Muslims planting and growing tobacco.  Someone told me there are still approximately 5% of the Muslims living in Greece. They only make 2euro a kilo for the tobacco.

                                    Interesting to me was she made mention of Lydia the first female & first European to be Baptised in Europe by St Paul who visited 20 years after the death of Christ.

                                    She went to North East Greece to visit army on the border with Turkey on the front-tier land.  She explained it took months to get permission to go, had to travel in army truck and was not allowed to direct the camera towards Turkey.

                                    Next week, part 3 she will be in Crete

                                    #36578
                                    SensibleAnn
                                        • Topics: 25
                                        • Replies: 68
                                        • Total: 93
                                        • BIC Old Hand
                                        • ★★★★
                                        Member since: 14th November 2005

                                        But I wish someone would explain the difference between Kyrie and Kyria to her!!

                                        #36631
                                        Ag Nik Addict
                                            • Topics: 8
                                            • Replies: 67
                                            • Total: 75
                                            • BIC Old Hand
                                            • ★★★★
                                            Member since: 23rd March 2006

                                            I think this is a great programme. These celebrity travelogues are always a little shallow and she is covering a huge amount in each programme, but Joanna is eminently watchable as usual (and that’s coming from a woman – just in case you were wondering!) with an almost childlike joy at what she sees. Looking forward to the programme on Crete next week and also the other islands, several of which I have also visited.

                                            #36673
                                            moggy1923
                                                • Topics: 89
                                                • Replies: 466
                                                • Total: 555
                                                • Practcally Cretan
                                                • ★★★★★★
                                                Member since: 29th April 2007

                                                6B404F445555447E7649485544210 wrote: I think this is a great programme. These celebrity travelogues are always a little shallow and she is covering a huge amount in each programme, but Joanna is eminently watchable as usual (and that’s coming from a woman – just in case you were wondering!) with an almost childlike joy at what she sees. Looking forward to the programme on Crete next week and also the other islands, several of which I have also visited.

                                                Agree with you, she has her tears at the appropriate moments
                                                Like the way she asks the questions in English (as the questions must be asked off camera in Greek) the person responds in Greek with English sub-titles.
                                                I am glad it is her doing this, as can not think of anyone else I would prefer for this topic.
                                                Crete is such a large Island with so many differences, am curious how it will be shown. Would be good if she took in an Olive Oil factory and Raki making, but probably done in the seaon so doubtful.

                                                #36708
                                                scooby
                                                    • Topics: 46
                                                    • Replies: 493
                                                    • Total: 539
                                                    • Practcally Cretan
                                                    • ★★★★★★
                                                    Member since: 17th July 2010

                                                    4C4E464658210 wrote: This week Joanna covered Northern Greece, including Corfu.

                                                    It was good how she explained the Northern Borders of Greece to it’s neighbours.

                                                    For Corfu, she showed many of the wealthy houses,  one had sold 2 days previous for 15 Million (wonder what the special tax on that would be!).  Much was shown on the British traditions still in Corfu, Cricket and Brass bands of the Corfiots, ie the British influence that Corfu still has to this day. Mention was also made to say that about 50% of the Corfiot men were named Spiros.

                                                    She went to Zitsa, a very small village and tribute was paid to Lord Bryon and his donation to Greece, along with his political influence for Greece, as well as his appreciation of good Greek Wine
                                                    .
                                                    She visited Kavala and spent some time explaining 1923 when Christian Greeks had to leave Turkey & go to Greeks and Muslim Turkish had to leave Greece and to go Turkey.  She also explained that the Christian Greeks who had to leave Turkey to go to live in Greece spoke Turkish & vice versa (Muslim Turks had to leave Greece for Turkey spoke Greek).  She visited a man of 96 who was 6 years old when his family had to leave Turkey for Greece.  He explained how his father and most men from his village were killed by the Turks & how very little of their personal possessions they were allowed to take (a shame though that no comparative mention was made of similarities that probably happened to the Turks who left Greece).  A very sad and tragic time in history rarely mentioned.

                                                    She went to a village, Nigrita (well think that was what it was called!), where an old custom from Turkey is still going on, i.e. wrestling where the men covered themselves in oil with trousers made of leather –they were entirely covered in oil to make themselves slippery.  Mainly they were Greek men, but there was at least one Turkish man taking part.  The Turkish man was noted for saying he did not care who people are, people are people..  In the olden days all the wrestlers were shepherds.  The Turk won on this occasion

                                                    Somewhere she went, Melivia I think, they were Muslims planting and growing tobacco.  Someone told me there are still approximately 5% of the Muslims living in Greece. They only make 2euro a kilo for the tobacco.

                                                    Interesting to me was she made mention of Lydia the first female & first European to be Baptised in Europe by St Paul who visited 20 years after the death of Christ.

                                                    She went to North East Greece to visit army on the border with Turkey on the front-tier land.  She explained it took months to get permission to go, had to travel in army truck and was not allowed to direct the camera towards Turkey.

                                                    Next week, part 3 she will be in Crete

                                                    Thanks for that Moggy! no need for me to watch my recording of it now :(

                                                    #36739
                                                    moggy1923
                                                        • Topics: 89
                                                        • Replies: 466
                                                        • Total: 555
                                                        • Practcally Cretan
                                                        • ★★★★★★
                                                        Member since: 29th April 2007

                                                        scooby, that is a shame, I was looking forward to your comment on it, but guess you are really interested in Part 3

                                                        #36766
                                                        moggy1923
                                                            • Topics: 89
                                                            • Replies: 466
                                                            • Total: 555
                                                            • Practcally Cretan
                                                            • ★★★★★★
                                                            Member since: 29th April 2007

                                                            reminder to those who can watch UK TV. part 3 is tonight ITV1 at 9pm ITV1+1 at 10pm or ITV Iplayer

                                                            #36789
                                                            ganesh
                                                                • Topics: 25
                                                                • Replies: 475
                                                                • Total: 500
                                                                • Practcally Cretan
                                                                • ★★★★★★
                                                                Member since: 21st September 2009

                                                                Interesting that of all the places to visit on Crete she chose the leper colony!!Actually,I did enjoy the programme even though I find her manner a bit irritating,and if she says ‘wonderful’ again I may have to switch over.The bit about Revelations was a revelation to me.I have read it and it is very weird-now I realise why it mentions Hades a couple of times,I did not realise it was written in a cave on a greek island.So very educational for me and different from the usual travelogue.

                                                                #36810
                                                                moggy1923
                                                                    • Topics: 89
                                                                    • Replies: 466
                                                                    • Total: 555
                                                                    • Practcally Cretan
                                                                    • ★★★★★★
                                                                    Member since: 29th April 2007

                                                                    She arrived Crete by boat into Heraklion harbour & gave some historic stuff.  Then off to Anogia, another excuse to visit a survivor, surprised me how many people had escaped to the hills. As well as name dropping the brits involved at the time.  Somehow she joined up with sheep herders, we got a short lesson on cheese making and saw them milking the sheep, then some of the sheep jumping (Sheep herders I found an interesting angle).  Then off to Plakia and the boat journey to Spinalonga first explaining the historical significance of the island as Fortress, then going on to explain the history of it as village/coloney for leprosy, as well as visiting the leper hospital.  From there, not sure if I forgot something, she went to Sitea, loved her pronouncing it over and over, Sitea.  For to see a family making Raki at their stil.  She said they make it several times a year.  (Had believed the Raki making season was limited to a few weeks around November ish).  Was glad that the Raki making got a showing, as well as her Greek Dancing – tee-hee.  She did say that the best Raki came from Sitea – (not sure about that – would say it would depend on who was making it, ie experience and what grapes were being used). 
                                                                    Crete is such a large Island & so much to see, was wondering what parts were to be shown

                                                                    Ganesh, that cave where St John wrote Revelations was on the little Island of Patmos.  Had visited myself a few years back when on another island for a week.

                                                                    #36830
                                                                    moggy1923
                                                                        • Topics: 89
                                                                        • Replies: 466
                                                                        • Total: 555
                                                                        • Practcally Cretan
                                                                        • ★★★★★★
                                                                        Member since: 29th April 2007

                                                                        Series appears to be repeated from tonight , Thursday, ITV3 at 9pm UK time (11pm Greek)

                                                                        #36850
                                                                        Mele
                                                                            • Topics: 12
                                                                            • Replies: 53
                                                                            • Total: 65
                                                                            • BIC Old Hand
                                                                            • ★★★★
                                                                            Member since: 12th January 2010

                                                                            Shame she pronounced raki as rahki! Overall a good series and good historic on Greek islands. Clearly she loves the country.

                                                                            #36869
                                                                            altohb
                                                                                • Topics: 49
                                                                                • Replies: 223
                                                                                • Total: 272
                                                                                • Practcally Cretan
                                                                                • ★★★★★★
                                                                                Member since: 10th July 2007

                                                                                It is even more of a shame that the Raki still which was supposedly in Sitia (a small village!) isn’t. It makes me very annoyed when these sloppy mistakes are presented as "fact".

                                                                                #36886
                                                                                moggy1923
                                                                                    • Topics: 89
                                                                                    • Replies: 466
                                                                                    • Total: 555
                                                                                    • Practcally Cretan
                                                                                    • ★★★★★★
                                                                                    Member since: 29th April 2007

                                                                                    This series is back on ITV3, Saturday, tonight at 9.30pm UK time, so 11.30 Greece, or an hour later on ITV3 + 1

                                                                                    think tonight might be her brief visit to limited parts of Crete, if not then next time

                                                                                  Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  Scroll To Top